Information on Relief Effort in Greece
We have 3 teams in Greece at present. Athens, Chios Island and now Idomeni.
We have recently arrived in Idomeni at the Greek border with the Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia where the number of refugees is rising daily due to European countries closing borders or dramatically limiting the number of refugees going through. It’s estimated there are between 12,000 – 14,000 people here.
The longer people can stay the better, 2 weeks minimum to be effective. We will provide more details later.
On Chios Island we have a kitchen team of 6-8 people making two meals a day to feed approx. 400 to 1200 refugees, sometimes more. The numbers do keep changing. We have a house rented with basic facilities for volunteers and a good kitchen set up run by chef Ifty Patel of the People’s Street Kitchen.
In Athens we have a house rented for volunteers for a year and a team who distribute food at the port. Mostly breakfast fruits and nuts, and sometimes cooked food or food parcels. We also help out at a large warehouse full of donated relief items for refugees.
The situation changes often depending on numbers of refugees arriving and departing but overall it is getting worse as more arrive than depart.
See links below for more background info.
- We need volunteers who can immediately go to Idomeni, in northern Greece to assist with the desperate situation there. They can either fly in to Thessaloniki and meet the other team members who are there, or fly in to Athens then take a bus or train to Idomeni.
- We need volunteers in Athens to help with food distribution and other tasks currently going on there to help alleviate the crisis for the refugees living in the port terminals. Preferably volunteers will be able to make their own way from the airport to Piraeus Railway Station on bus X96 http://www.athensairportbus.com/en/timetable/x96airporttopiraeusport.htmland can be met at the station, which is near the home of initiates. Alternatively, we can meet the volunteers in Terminal 3 at the information desk of the arrival hall.
- We need some long-term kitchen helpers and chefs on Chios Island, ideally staying 1 month, or at least 3 weeks to be effective
Ideal qualities for volunteers:
- English speakers, or if coming with a group ideally at least one or two people speaking English
- Speaking French, Arabic or Greek is an advantage
- At least one of the team members with experience as chef or kitchen helper would be ideal
- Experienced drivers needed
- Good health
• Sincere practitioner
Flexibility and a sense of humour are important too! Things change a LOT and are not always predictable in this unstable situation!
Volunteers who will fly to Athens will be briefed at our relief-work base. Volunteers who fly in to Thessaloniki will be met by our team there.
Food and accommodation will be provided at all relief work areas. We don’t have beds to sleep on, so please bring whatever you need to be comfortable. Please try to reduce your luggage to the minimum though, as space is limited. Please also bring your yellow vests for relief work.
All volunteers need to meditate at least 4hrs/day.
Many, many thanks.
WML & B,
Love All Refugees Team
For more information on our relief work in Athens and Chios island, please check:
https://news.godsdirectcontact.net/lia-reports/our-korean-relief-team-assisting-refugees-in-greece/ (news magazine website)
https://www.facebook.com/love.pyotu (facebook page for relief work)
https://www.youtube.com/user/SMCHNewsMagazine (youtube channel forrelief work)
For info via email contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
For general information via phone contact: Katelijne +44 7944 051030 (languages spoken: English/French/Dutch/Thai) or Zaina +30 6945080798 (until March 18th)
Phone contacts of relief teams:
Athens: Euna +30 6945981282 (languages spoken: Korean/English/Chinese)
Idomeni: Lefki +30 6949773622 (languages spoken: English/Greek)
Chios Island: Sophia +30 6945765269 (languages spoken: Korean/English/French)
WGLove x Katelijne
Be Vegan, Make Peace